Are you feeling the GDPR pressure yet?
We are sure by now you have heard some scaremongering about the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) which come into play on 25th May 2018.
At G5 we are looking at the new regulations as a positive step forward. We are all in it together to protect our own and other peoples personal data and that is pretty important. (Even if it is hard work to get all of it organised!)
What have we done so far?
We have looked at the way we hold our own data, our clients data and how GDPR affects some of our services such as our Public Wi-Fi; G5Zone. When looking at our own data we ask: what data do we hold, why do we keep it, who has access to it and how long should we keep it for? Our Managing Director Kate has been contacting all our clients and suppliers to get consent from them for GDPR.
Here are some things we think you might be interested to know:
1. If you provide Wi-Fi (like G5Zone) you will need a new login page with up to date Terms and Conditions. We are on a mission to get anyone with G5Zone updated before the 25th May deadline. As a result we are now able to provide branded login pages as a service. So even if you don’t have G5Zone we can get one set up for you.
2. We have set up an email address so that anyone who wants us to remove any data we hold for them can ask for us to delete it. It is email@example.com.
3. We are contacting everyone who receives our monthly marketing email (that means you!) to get consent from them that they still want to receive it as GDPR also covers the way in which companies market themselves. You can always unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe button on any of the newsetter emails.
5. We are accredited to ISO 9001:2015 and aim to be Cyber Essentials certified.
6. We ensure all our suppliers are also GDPR compliant and consent to our privacy policies.
When looking at our own GDPR compliance we found that the Information Commissioners Office was really handy. They have lots of useful self assessment tools and handy printable resources for the office.