Microsoft announced in 2017 that it would no longer support Office 2013. The end-of-support changes apply to Office 365 Pro Plus, Small Business Premium, Business, Project Pro, and Visio Pro subscriptions. All critical security updates for 2013 products ended April 10, 2018. If you are a business, you should really consider making the move to a newer version of Microsoft Office to take advantage of the latest productivity features. Some of you might even be running on older versions than 2013!
We know that sometimes it takes a while for this news to filter down to you so if your business is still using Microsoft Office 2013, here are some things you need to know right away:
- Office 2013 client applications and language packs are no longer available from the Office 365 self-service portal and Admin Centre.
- Microsoft no longer release feature updates for Office 2013.
- You need to upgrade to Office 365 or 2019 right now.
- Microsoft Office 2016 still gets upgrades however doesn’t work with Microsoft Exchange Servers 2007 or earlier.
- The support for Office 2016 ends in October 2020. Microsoft have even recently launched Office 2019! In order to ensure you are always up to date with the latest Office then office 365 is a good option for your business.
Office 365 is a subscription service that ensures you always have the most up-to-date modern productivity tools from Microsoft. There are Office 365 plans for home and personal use, as well as for small and midsized businesses, large enterprises, schools, and non-profits.
With a subscription, you’ll always have the latest features, fixes, and security updates along with ongoing tech support at no extra cost. You can choose to pay for your subscription on a monthly or yearly basis.
Office 2019 is sold as a one-time purchase, which means you pay a single, up-front cost to get Office apps for one computer. One-time purchases are available for both PCs and Macs. However, there are no upgrade options which means if you plan to upgrade to the next major release, you’ll have to buy it at full price. This is why Office 365 is such an appealing option for many people.
Get in touch with us if you aren’t sure which version you are using or if you know you need to upgrade and our friendly team can help.
If you’d like to know more about the benefits of moving to Office 365 then check out our article here